Contentious Probate is the title given to disputes arising out of someone’s estate after they have died.
Some common examples:
- You may have suspicions about the validity of the Will, the beneficiaries or choice of Executors;
- You may be concerned that the value of the estate is less than expected;
- You were expecting to be included in the Will but have not been;
- You are concerned that the Executors/Administrators are not dealing with matters correctly;
- You are a Co-Executor but a dispute has arisen with the other Executors and/or Beneficiaries.
- These are just a few examples and by no means an exhaustive list.
If you wish to make a claim against an estate or find yourself defending a claim against an estate, please contact us urgently and do not try to deal with it yourself, it could be false economy. Contentious Probate can result in High Court litigation involving specific rules and procedures that must be adhered to before and after the issuing of proceedings. You will save costs initially by dealing with matters yourself but then may face a higher legal bill later on when you instruct a solicitor and the solicitor has to unpick the action taken by you. Further, any action that you take without reference to a solicitor could be extremely damaging and could leave you open to criticism and penalties.
We offer a fixed fee half hour appointment of £100 plus VAT to discuss your situation which will be deducted from your first invoice should you instruct us.